Longyearbyen (Urban East Norwegian: [ˈlɔ̀ŋjiːrbyːən];) or "The Longyear Town" is the world's northernmost settlement and largest inhabited area of Svalbard, Norway.It stretches along the foot of the left bank of the Longyear Valley and on the shore of Adventfjorden, the short estuary leading into Isfjorden on the west coast of Spitsbergen, the island's broadest inlet.
Coordinates. Longyearbyen (Urban East Norwegian: [ˈlɔ̀ŋjiːrbyːən];) or "The Longyear Town" is the world's northernmost settlement and largest inhabited area of Svalbard, Norway.It stretches along the foot of the left bank of the Longyear Valley and on the shore of Adventfjorden, the short estuary leading into Isfjorden on the west coast of Spitsbergen, the island's broadest inlet.
Longyearbyen also has support functions every community is reliant on, such as a hospital, school, kindergartens, sports hall, church and cultural centre. The seasons of Longyearbyen . Most residents of Longyearbyen agree that each season has its own charm. Some prefer the Northern Lights winter, while others appreciate the brighter sunny season when the Midnight Sun is high in the polar sky ...
Calculations of sunrise and sunset in Longyearbyen – Svalbard – Norway for May 2021. Generic astronomy calculator to calculate times for sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset for many cities, with daylight saving time and time zones taken in account.
This webcam Longyearbyen (Spitsbergen) with the theme City Views was added on October 10, 2012 and is operated by Borealis Livecam.It got 87556 visitors since then. If this camera doesn't work or should the link be wrong please report that here.You can add this webcam here to myCams.
Longyearbyen is like a portal to a magical sub-polar world. Just about every Svalbard experience begins here, but if you came to Svalbard and spent the whole time in Longyearbyen (Svalbard's only town of any size), you'd leave disappointed. That's because although Longyearbyen enjoys a superb backdrop including two glacier tongues ...
12.03.2019 · Longyearbyen's church is located slightly higher up the hillside overlooking the town centre. The foundations for the current church were laid in 1956, and it was consecrated two years later. The wooden, rectangular church can hold around 140 people. It is the only church on the archipelago, aside from the Russian Orthodox chapel in Barentsburg. The Church is home to a Church of Norway ...
02.10.2020 · Longyearbyen is the largest populated area on the territory of Svalbard, located in the high Norwegian Arctic. The settlement is popular as the most easily accessed frontier in the Arctic, and is an ideal base for the greater exploration of Svalbard.. The settlement is named after American entrepreneur John Munro Longyear (1850-1922), who as head of the Arctic Coal Company founded the town and ...
Visualize the world as you have never seen it before! The Livecam app is a gateway to a network of high resolution webcams featuring world-class image quality up to 66 million pixels.
Longyearbyen is full of people who genuinely seem to love living there. Everyone is helpful and friendly. A totally multicultural town with no aggression or unpleasantness anywhere. Absolutely loved the restaurants and think these provided the best service and food that we have experienced anywhere. Obviously all expensive for UK travellers, but not to be missed all the same. Show more Show ...
Where is longyearbyen watch for free online
Where is longyearbyen view photos
Where is longyearbyen latest news
Longyearbyen is located at latitude 78˚ North – just 1,316 km from the North Pole. Longyearbyen is a three-hour flight from Oslo or a 90-minute flight from Tromsø. Longyearbyen is situated on the island of Spitsbergen, the largest island in the Svalbard archipelago.
· Longyearbyen is the largest populated area on the territory of Svalbard, located in the high Norwegian Arctic. The settlement is popular as the most easily accessed frontier in the Arctic, and is an ideal base for the greater exploration of Svalbard . The settlement is named after American entrepreneur John Munro Longyear (1850-1922), who as head ...
Get directions, maps, and traffic for Longyearbyen, Svalbard. Check flight prices and hotel availability for your visit.
Where is Longyearbyen located? Longyearbyen is located in Svalbard and Jan Mayen (Spitsbergen, Svalbard) and time zone Arctic/Longyearbyen . Places nearby are Tromsø , Harstad and Hammerfest .
· Longyearbyen. located. Welcome! This page contains comprehensive information about Longyearbyen, including: the map where Longyearbyen is located, it’s geographical coordinates, places where banks and ATMs, offices, schools, hospitals, museums, markets, monuments, salons, central park, metro station (if they are), reviews, and more.
· 1. Longyearbyen was founded by an American. An American, John Longyear, started the Arctic Coal Company and set up a mining operation for around 500 people in 1906. The settlement was known as Longyear City. Today it is Longyearbyen, meaning Longyear City in Norwegian.
· The world's northernmost town is Longyearbyen, which is located in the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard and has 2,400 citizens. Longyearbyen is around 650 miles from the North Pole, making it the nearest town to it. It's dark for four months a year and light for another four months.
· Longyearbyen, contrary to other settlements on Svalbard, such as Pyramiden, is pretty ‘busy’ or ‘crowded’ as for the Arctic standards. Apart from the travellers, Longyearbyen is a very multicultural town where over 40 nationalities work in the research centres, at the University and in …
· The 2000 or so people living in Longyearbyen – mainly miners, students, polar scientists and those working in tourism – are a hardy lot; where four months of continual winter darkness is ...